This weekend the annual Children’s Book Festival hits the State Library on 22 March.
We’re inviting kids and their families to dive into the pleasures of books and reading. There’s a lot to get excited about, but here’s a snapshot of highlights to look out for:
- Meet some of the best and brightest authors and illustrators around, including hilarious Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton, renowned illustrator Shaun Tan and everyone’s favourite Hazel Edwards. Book signings held throughout the day!
- Kids can make things in the workshop space hosted by comic Bernard Caleo, Marc Martin will be making hanging mobiles, and Nicki Greenberg will teach the crowd to draw kooky characters. Shaun Tan will turn his expert hand to a page, too.
- On the lawn, be entertained by children’s singer Peter Combe, indigenous storyteller Ron Murray and funny man Josh Earl.
- Catch The Hoodangers perform in the domed reading room, or a song by gentleman-adventurer Mr ‘Uptown’ Brown.
- The Snuff Puppets will perform with their trademark giant puppet body parts floating down Little Lonsdale Street.
- Make your own book, comic or zine and become a published author in our own publishing house.
All this and more. It’ll be a crazy, fun-packed day. Although everybody is welcome, the activities are suitable for kids between the ages of 5 and 11.
It’s all free, but we’re taking bookings for the Meet the Authors and Illustrators sessions at wheelercentre.com.
The Children’s Book Festival is from 10am–4pm on Sunday 22 March 2015 at the Wheeler Centre and State Library Victoria.