The Rob Roy hill climb is a car time trial in Smiths Gully, Victoria. It was initially established by the Light Car Club of Australia and began in 1937 and ran until 1962, when bushfires destroyed the track. It wasn’t until 1993 that the race was run again, and it still continues today.
Cars compete to see who can climb the 695 metres track the quickest across a number of different categories, including sports cars, open cars, supercharged racing cars and midget speedcars. In 1937 the fastest cars climbed the hill in 37 seconds. In 2013 many cars completed the course in under 30 seconds.
[Arthur Wylie driving his Wylie car at the 1940 Rob Roy Hill Climb], H2000.111/9
The MG Car Club of Victoria now runs the climb, which will be run on again on Sunday, March 2, 2014. The Library has recently digitised many photographs of the race, particularly from the 1940s and 50s. The photographer, George Thomas, was a founding member of the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club. With his interest in both motor sports and photography, he became a semi-professional photographer active at Victorian motor sports events in the 1940′s and 1950′s.
[Group of people looking at the telephone pole which Lex Davison collided with, in December 1947, in his MG.TC], H2000.111/11
Lombard, 14th Rob Roy Hill Climb, H2014.115/81
Written by Paul Dee, Librarian, Australian History & Literature Team
A history of Rob Roy Hillclimb 1937-1961: the hill, the drivers, the cars by Leon Sims; forward by Bruce Walton.
Phillip Island to Fangio: the history of the Light Car Club of Australia by Bob Watson.