George Swain, the State Library’s last residential caretaker sadly passed away this week. A WWII veteran, he brought up a family of six children in an apartment on the roof of the Library’s dome, living there until the early 80s. In a post he wrote for the dome centenary in 2013, George reminisces about bringing up his family on the roof of the Library.
- Slums of Melbourne
- The great flood of 1891
- The little blue building
- The Alan K Jordan collection of photographs
- 1970s photos of Fitzroy and Castlemaine now online
- The last residential caretaker
- Beautiful architectural drawings now online
- So, you want to be a librarian?
- Melbourne to commemorate Ireland’s 1916 Easter Rising
- Call for 2016 Fellowship applications