The Summer Read is on again and with the warm weather already here, it’s time to sit back, relax and lose yourself in a great Victorian book.
The Summer Read is a program of the State Library of Victoria and Public Libraries Network Victoria that celebrates the diversity of Victorian writing and encourages Victorians to take time out with a good read.
The ten Summer Read books are great 2013 releases either written by a Victorian author, set in Victoria or about Victorians, and all are free to borrow from participating public libraries throughout the state.
Sue Roberts, CEO and State Librarian, says The Summer Read gives Victorians the chance to discover local authors and new books.
‘The Summer Read is a wonderful excuse to take a break from the hectic pace of life throughout the year and fall into some terrific books. It’s a great way to relax, recharge and discover some excellent Victorian books.’
The 2014 Summer Read list is a diverse selection with books for fans of crime, non-fiction, popular and literary fiction, biography and memoir.
Readers also have the chance to win a personal library of up to 50 Victorian books by filling out an entry form at a participating public library or online at slv.vic.gov.au/summer-read
The 2014 Summer Read books are:
- The Battle For Lone Pine: Four Days of Hell at the Heart of Gallipoli, David W. Cameron (Penguin, non-fiction)
- A World of Other People, Steven Carroll (HarperCollins fiction)
- Sisters of Spicefield, Fran Cusworth (Random House, fiction)
- Love With a Chance of Drowning: A Memoir, Torre DeRoche (Penguin, memoir)
- The Memory Trap, Andrea Goldsmith (HarperCollins, fiction)
- Blood Witness, Alex Hammond (Penguin, crime fiction)
- Night Games: Sex, Power and Sport, Anna Krien (Black Inc, non-fiction)
- Is It Just Me? Confessions of an Over-sharer, Chrissie Swan (Black Inc, autobiography)
- Father Bob: Larrikin Priest, Sue Williams (Penguin, biography)
- The Swan Book, Alexis Wright (Giramondo, fiction)
The Summer Read runs from 18 December 2013 to 16 February 2014. More information.